The cross-promotion is a feature for game publishers and game studios giving them the option to easily promote between games inside their games bringing players to download a new game from another game they publish. Game of Whales uses the current data of players that have already managed to collect.
How it works:
You set the cross-promotion settings in a new game (this is the game you want to promote): select the games which will promote the new game, load the images with ads of the new game, etc. and turn the cross-promotion on.
Pay attention that the new game should be published in the appropriate stores and its bundle identifiers should be set on Game settings page of Game of Whales.
- Game of Whales creates the advertisements in selected games and sends them to the games players. Pay attention that the games selected for promotion should support the showing of GOW ads. You can find more details about the implementation of ads on GOW SDK implementation guides.
- If the advertisement was created for the player and he logs the new game in, he will able to get the gift in the new game (the gift is an in-game product defined in the cross-promotion settings).
The advertisement is valid and available to show within 2 days after its creation. If the player clicks on the received ads on his device the appropriate advertisement is redeemed.
The gift is created at the same time as the ads and is valid within 2 days after it's creation. Technically the gift is a special offer for an in-game product with 100% discount. The offer can be redeemed once. If the gift exists for the player it is shown on Special offers tab of the player's card.
The cross-promotion is based on AI (Artificial Intelligence) system, so it's necessary to enable AI in a new game and in all games which will promote the new game.
All cross-promotion settings are set on Cross Promotion tab of AI Settings. In order to open it click on AI SETTINGS button on the dashboard.
You need setting the following parameters:
- Enable Cross Promotion - allows to turn the cross-promotion functionality on/off. By default, it's turned off.
- Restrict to the following countries (1)- if you want to show the ads only for players from a few countries, you should add the countries to this list. If the list is empty, the ads will be created for players from any country.
- Restrict to the certain platforms (2) - if you want to show the ads only for some platforms, you should select the platforms by clicking on them. If nothing is selected, the ads will be created for any platform.
- Promote in games (3) - choose the games which will help promote the current game. The ad of the current game will be created for selected games.
- Reward with product (4) - choose an in-game product which will use as a gift for players downloaded the game.
- Title and Message - the text of additional ad's message. At the moment they are not supported by GOW SDK.
- Edit promotion images - load the images with the advertisement of the game.
You can load images for different types of devices and different orientations: Phone Portrait, Phone Landscape, 7" Tablet Portrait, 7" Tablet Landscape, 10" Tablet Portrait, 10" Tablet Landscape. At least one image should be loaded. But it's recommended to set all kinds of images. In this case, GOW SDK will choose the most suitable image for showing on a player's device.
In order to save all settings click on SAVE CHANGES.
Showing of ads in the game
In order to work with GOW ads on the game side, you should implement some GOW SDK methods. You can find more details about the implementation of ads on GOW SDK implementation guides:
A test cross-promotion can be created for checking of the implementation. No need to enable cross-promotion on the game for sending of test ads.
In order to create the test ads:
- Mark the player related to the test device as a developer.
- Open his player's card.
- Click on the DEVELOPERS SETTINGS.
- Click on TEST CROSS PROMOTION.
- Specify the advertisement parameters.
- Click on TEST CROSS PROMOTION.
Test cross-promotion ads will be created in the current game.
Gift in the game
In order to work with a gift on the game side, you should implement some GOW SDK methods related to special offers. You can find more details about the implementation of special offers on GOW SDK implementation guides:
The advertising efficiency is shown in Cross Promotion report.
To open this report, select your game, go to Reports (1) and then click on Cross Promotion section (2).
The report shows:
- How many players were brought into the game via the cross-promotion in the selected period (1).
- How many players became payers in the selected period (except players brought into the game via the cross-promotion) (2).
- The assumption of a percentage increase in the number of payers at the expense of players attracted through cross-promotion. It's calculated as (1)/(2)*100%.
The report also contains a graph with the number of delivered (1), presented (2) and clicked (3) advertisements in the selected period.
The ad is defined as delivered for the player if Game of Whales has received login event from the same player during the ad's valid period.
The ad is defined as presented for the player if Game of Whales has received adAction: showed event for the same ad from the same player. It means that the ad was shown for the player.
The ad is defined as clicked if Game of Whales has received adAction : clicked event for the same ad from the same player. It means that the player clicked on the ad to open the appropriate store for downloading the game.
The exact numbers are shown in the graph's tooltip. The percentages show how many of the delivered advertisements were presented/clicked.
It the current game is promoted by several games, the data of the graph is divided by games promoted the current game.
You can change the report's period by clicking on Pick a date.
The information about the revenue from players attracted through cross-promotion is shown on the dashboard as a part of GOW Contribution report.
The information is divided into 2 parts:
- AI CROSS PROMOTION (1) shows how much money the players who joined the game via the cross-promotion in the selected period, have spent from the moment of their joining to the present.
- ORGANIC AD REVENUE (2) shows the same data about players who joined the game in the selected period by other ways.
By default, the report shows the data for the previous month. You can change the period by changing the period of the dashboard.
If there is no revenue from the players who joined the game through the cross-promotion in the selected period the report will look like this:
If the players joined the game via the cross-promotion, their cards will have special labels.
The same label will be used to mark their purchases in the purchases list on the dashboard.